In this crazy ass world, we know A LOT of us are seeking therapy for some extra support and guidance as we drive along Shitshow Lane (aka our world right now.)
Yes, even those of us who are therapists are looking for our own rock star therapist to help us manage our day-to-day worries and anxieties.
We thought it might be helpful if we share some thoughts from both sides of the spectrum, on how to make sure you’re getting all you can out of your therapy sessions.
How to get the most out of therapy sessions
1. First and foremost, do a quick check in within yourself. This is especially helpful once you’ve had your first appointment. Ask yo-self these questions:
- Are you comfortable with the therapist?
- Do you feel safe with them?
- Do you like them?
- Are they funny, open, authentic? Or, are they stiff and flat?
- Do they just smile and nod and/or write shit down while you’re talking a hundred miles a minute?
These are important markers for you because honestly if you don’t like your therapist, you’re not going to get anything done (trust me when I tell you that, ask me how I know LOL.) Also, if you think they’re weird, smell funny (again, ask me how I know) or just seem a little off to you, this could be a sign that they’re not a good fit. Trust your intuition here! She knows best!
2. Make sure they’re prompt and clear in their communication. Were they prompt in getting back to you? Do you know if you can send them an email or leave a voicemail and they’ll respond in a day or so? We think that being responsive is so important, especially if you’re trying to make an appointment or have a question about the whole process. Even better, do they have an admin that can respond to you during the week pretty quickly? If so, BONUS!!!
3. This suggestion is super important: don’t be afraid to interrupt your therapist. Or, tell them they’re off base, or that you don’t really want to talk about “that” today, but rather you wanna talk about “this.” A good therapist will roll with it and they may even encourage you to bring a list of topics to your sessions.
4. Are you a dump and run girl or do you like your therapist to really get into your goals and make a plan to help you? A good therapist is flexible this way and will meet you where you are so if you’re a goal setter, tell them! If you just want to vent and bitch, tell them that too! If you love homework or not, let them know. This is YOUR journey, and your therapist is there to support you!
5. Choose a therapist who remembers important details about your life. I don’t mean things like the name of your turtle when you were 7 (extra points if they do,) but like your partner’s name, where you work, etc. There’s nothing more annoying than a therapist who continually forgets your life details regularly and you have to keep reminding them. Waste of energy, amiright?
6. Make sure you arrive to your sessions on time. We know shit happens, but those 45-50 minutes are yours and you should be making the most of them – we know how fast that time goes! Deduct points if your therapist is chronically late, sigh… You know what to do then.
7. Do your damn homework! If your therapist gives you something to do that will help move the needle on your life, then please do it. Or at least attempt to and let them know what resistance is coming up or what blocks you’re experiencing, if you’re having a hard time completing it. Believe it or not, this is helpful info for the therapist too.
8. Lastly, we just want you to make sure you feel a connection to your therapist … What do you have in common? It could be as simple as you both are obsessed with Corgis (ahem) or you both love the show Atypical on Netflix (if you haven’t seen this, I highly recommend it,) or maybe you just both have the same sense of humor. Really find these connections when you first meet with them to see if you are building a solid rapport. These connections are the foundation with which you will build and grow upon. Without it, therapy is almost useless.
That’s it! We hope these suggestions help you figure out if your therapist is a good fit and if you’re doing what you can to get the most out of it!
Here at Empowered Connections, we take the connection between therapist and client to a whole new level. We believe in making these connections at every session and we pride ourselves on being a part of your tribe. We are your biggest fan, your loudest cheerleader and even your fairy godmother when it comes to course correcting and beginning to create a life you love!
We see you for who you are, and we believe in YOU.
Once you experience therapy and/or coaching with us, you’ll understand what we mean when we say “Your story is OUR story” and that we believe that women need connection to heal. Let us help you redefine what your life is and could be … we can see it too! To self-schedule now, click here.